Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chicken Orzo Salad

On a hot summer day, I hate to be a slave to my stove top.  My old boss had made a similar version of this salad and I modified it to my likes.  This is one of those "kitchen sink" recipes where you can do whatever you like with it and the best part is,  there's not a lot to clean up.



1 Grocery Store Rotisserie chicken, I use the breast meat only, but you can use it all if you like. (reserve the carcass to make stock)
1 c. orzo, cooked
1/4 c. toasted pine nuts
1/2 c. feta (I like the kind in olive oil and herbs)
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/4 c. kalamata olives (pitted)
2 cloves garlic, diced fine
zest of lemon
juice of 1-2 lemons
olive oil
1/4 c. fresh parsley
4 sprigs fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
splash of red wine vinegar


Heat a pot of water, add salt and cook orzo till al dente (about 10 mins)
Drain and cool.

Chop and place all ingredients in bowl.  Top with zested lemon, garlic, olive oil (use some of the oil in cheese if using) red wine vinegar and season to taste.

Toss with arugula and serve room temperature to cold.

Remember that the longer it sits, the more the flavors will meld.

Pop open a nice bottle of chardonnay and Enjoy!

Recipe will serve 3-4 medium portions.

Or in the case of my household, me once, my husband 2-3 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment